Thursday, June 10, 2010

Twice-baked Potatoes

We love twice-baked potatoes! I usually make a whole recipe 6 whole potatoes (12 halves) and freeze what I have left. They freeze great, and are just as good when reheated. To bake from frozen I usually stick them in a 400 degree oven and bake for about 45 minutes. But if you are baking something at 350 they will do fine at that temperature too, just bake them a little longer!
What you will need...
6 large baking potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup sour cream
10 ounces grated sharp Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon garlic salt
Salt and Pepper
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup finely chopped green onion

Directions:
Wash the potatoes and pierce them with a fork. Rub the potatoes with the olive oil and place them on a jellyroll pan or a large cookie sheet with a rim. Bake the potatoes for 45 minutes in a 400 degree oven, or until done. Remove the potatoes from the oven and cut them in half lengthwise.
Scoop out the potato flesh, leave a nice rim around the skin of the potato. In a mixing bowl add the potatoes, milk, butter, sour cream, cheese (save some cheese to sprinkle on top of each potato) garlic salt, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix with electric mixer until creamy. Divide the mixture evenly and spoon it back into the potato shells. Sprinkle with leftover cheese, bacon, and green onions.
Return to 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
I am joining Michael at http://designsbygollum.blogspot for another great FOODIE FRIDAY. Make sure to stop by and see what all the other Foodie's are cooking this week!


19 comments:

  1. Kendra, I love twice baked potatoes! ANd your recipe sounds lucious! I'll be making these.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great! I haven't had them in a while, and might just make and freeze some soon-thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kendra-This is one of my family's favorite things. I love having them in the freezer too! I like the idea of putting bacon in, I scoop mine out with a grapefruit spoon and it works great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love baked potatoes, especially twice baked ones. Thank you for sharing your version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are one of my all time favorites. I've never thought of freezing them though. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just had a "why didn't I think of that" moment. We loved twice-baked potatoes. How nice to be able to just pull some from the freezer!
    I meant to comment on your grapes a few posts back. My husband and I had a lovely cheese platter at a restaurant in Chicago a few months ago. Marinated grapes were a part of it--delicious. I'm doing your grapes for a dinner party next week. They sound very similar. Thanks so much.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Twice baked potatoes are a favorite for family gatherings and I make mine much like yours. Pure comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An absolute favorite with my family...I really need to make them more often!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the great tips - I've never thought to make these in advance and freeze them. Great idea!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I die, I'm requesting that my loved ones place twice baked potatoes at my tombstone instead of flowers. Is that wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious! I never thought to make enough to freeze for later. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yum! I love twice baked potatoes -- I'll be making these. And your salsa recipe is one I'll be sure to try as well! Thanks for your kind visit to my wedding post - it's always fun to share such joyful celebrations~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks YUMMY!!! and this is a must try for dinner this week.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm making these next week. Look for them on my Monday Menu Plan. I'll post a link to you.
    Yummy! I can't wait!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kendra, Thanks for the great recipe. I just posted my weekly menu. YOur spuds are dinner tomorrow night! So Yummy!
    Thanks again!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Found your blog via Yvonne. I'll try this recipe this week and I'll be back to visit again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kendra, Last night's dinner was delicious! These potatoes are not only very yummy but big and filling. My family left the table very happy! Thanks for the recipe~ They are now called "Haden News Potatoes".
    xo
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!

Signature